Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Easy Peasy Salsa recipe! Easy. Quick. Cheaper than store bought!

Ahh the late garden this year is going great! Next year it's going to be bigger & better. In a few months we should be putting up the greenhouse and building the outdoor pizza oven. But for now I decided to take a few items from the little garden to make salsa. I lovvvee salsa. I love going to different Mexican restaurants just to try their house salsa. I also do like store bought, but have you checked the prices lately? Three dollars for a small jar..I mean seriously? Yes, you can make it cheaper then that! Let's get started. Here is your line up. YES!! I know it's a lemon & not a lime but they were out of limes or I couldn't find them. I usually have lemons on hand though so it works, works really well too!


You'll be doing this in your food processor but unless you want to make it a totally smooth salsa you'll want to chop up the fresh ingredients a bit. I am using canned tomatoes since my fresh ones haven't come in yet. The ones I buy at the farmers market are $2.98 a pound!! OUCH so I save them for salads until mine come in. I stock up on canned tomatoes when ever I find sale, usually $1.00 a can. Buy the best canned tomatoes you can. If you can find Red Pack go for it, they are my favorites, or 6 in 1. Generic brands just don't seem to have the same fresh tastes for some reason. I like my generic brands, I use them often but there are some things that just worth paying for..hence a good name brand canned tomato. Here I am using diced but you can do this with whole or even crushed if you like. If you have fresh then I would say about 6 roma tomatoes would equal one can. Lucky you!!



One tip for cutting hot peppers is to lightly coat your hands in oil. It really works. If you have ever touched your eye with your pepper hand, well you know what I mean, I see you nodding your head. Pain. That is all.




No comments:

Post a Comment