Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mantis ComposT-Twin dual tumbler my review!

I have wanted a Mantis composter since I first saw the ad in an issue of Organic Gardening approximately 20 years ago..you know, before it was cool to organic garden or even compost. I have had my current Mantis for 5 years. I'm not going to say I don't like it, because I do, but for the price, it's far too expensive for how long it takes. I only know of a few people who make compost in two weeks by cutting their trimmings into tiny pieces...yeah, like that's going to happen. I think it's kind of false advertising on their part. They show a woman shoving a huge spent tomato plant into one. 

When I first received my composter I did everything exactly by the book like they said even using a starter. I have been composting for year never needing a starter but I was excited so I used it... fully expecting compost in two weeks! Well, no it takes about eight weeks or more if you turn it every day, keep it well watered...yadda yadda. That doesn't happen here anymore. I fill a chamber turning it when I add new trimmings to the empty bin. My turn over with the lazy method is about 3 months. 

The Mantis drum and stand are pretty heavy duty. It looks fine in the yard if you need to keep it concealed. Emptying it into a wheel barrel is probably the best part. It works, it just takes more time.

The shortcoming are: The doors aren't hinged, they have two flaps. If the ends get bent from removing the doors or from the compost hitting them from the inside, well, it's not fun. My compost is always lumpy, always. Nothing like the black gold they show in the photo. Turning a full unit is not easy! Unlocking the unit has caused more hand hurts then I care to say. I have to make sure I'm wearing thick leather gloves when I open/close the doors. Composting shouldn't cause blood!

My overall view of the Mantis is this. It's expensive for what you get. Save the $500.00 and build yourself a wood fired pizza oven or buy yourself some nice kitchen gadgets. Buy a greenhouse, make a worm bin.  Build a three unit compost bin out of some 2x4 and some chicken wire...it works!


No comments:

Post a Comment