Friday, February 1, 2013

Pico de Gallo -Good & Good for you!

Greeting from the cold south! Brrrr!! Right now I am wishing for spring to hurry up & get here. I picked up my usual large bunch of tomatoes yesterday at the grocery store. They were expensive but looked okay. It wasn't until added them in my bowl with the onions I realized just how sickly anemic they looked..and tasted. If your tomatoes look like mine you might be better off substituting a 28oz can of diced tomatoes that have been drained in a colander & lightly rinsed. Cento if you can find them! 

This is a pretty basic Pico de Gallo recipe. Let it chill for several hours before tasting then tweek it to your liking. I will admit that I eat this..alot. I make it at least once a week. If I get a bad case of the mid afternoon hungries, I grab a spoon & my bowl. Sometimes a slip of avocado. I use it as a dip, as a salad dressing, add a can of beans it can be a nice lunch from home, for cheap and low calorie. Okay enough on to the recipe!

Pico de Gallow

2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup sweet onion diced
7 sprigs cilantro chopped
1/2 small jalapeno pepper seed & chopped(or pepper of your choice) 
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 lime juiced (microwave for 30 seconds, roll then juice)
Pinch of the following
cumin, garlic powder, sugar.

Combine all ingredients, refrigerate 3 hours, adjust to your liking.




1 comment: