Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sun Oven Solar Cooking, My review.

I purchased my Sun Oven approximately 8 years ago. They aren't cheap but considering this one should last another 10 years or so they certainly do pay for themselves. I had to contact customer service because everything I cooked in my first two tries ended up tasting like rubber. They said they had defective seals & sent me an entire new base via over night mail! Impressive! My poor solar oven has suffered abuse! She has caught the wind & been tossed around the yard more then a few times. She has been caught in a few rough thunderstorms but always manages to stand up right & catch the suns rays. She has dings & dents but still works as if new. I think I will however look into replacing the oven temperature gauge. It's right on the window & not accurate. I find a digital probe inserted in the food works great! 

Cooking in the solar oven is simple. Anything that you cook in your electric slow cooker can be done in the sun oven. I use mine year round but of course in the winter things will take longer. In this picture there is a chicken cooking. I put it in around 10:30 am she will probably be done between 1-2:00. It's summer here in North Carolina so we will still have enough sun to add in some biscuits once the large pot is removed. Potatoes can also be cooked in the bottom of the cooker, just wash & throw them in. When you cook bread  and if you want a browner crust, simply brush with butter. Cakes work awesome too. If I have to go out for the day I position the sun over where I estimate the sun will be around noon. This way when you get home your meal should be ready. I have never burned anything in my sun oven though I have managed to dry out some beans. I plan to either purchase or make another one so that I can do two meals at one time. 

It's fun, saves power, doesn't heat up your kitchen & works great! Two thumbs up Sun Oven!

Solar chicken out (took about 3 hours for a 5 pound hen, probably less but I couldn't find my probe).

Solar Southern Style Biscuits in. I use cast iron, it works really well. I could have used my cast iron dutch oven for the chicken as well. Any dark colored cookware works great!


 These are the solar biscuits cooked. They aren't bad really. I have enough sunlight left to cook up some chickpeas for hummus tomorrow! I'll give that recipe later! Cheers & eat fresh!




No comments:

Post a Comment