Thursday, June 6, 2013

Oh no! Ikea Ektrop slipcovers aren't bright white! A fix!!

Hi Everyone! Maybe like me you adore white slipcovered sofas! I love mine because I change colors anytime I want! I also live with six cats & three dogs. Plus I just love the smell of fresh clean smelling like Gain furniture anytime I want! YUMMMYY  Anyway, I recently purchased new white slipcovers for my Ikea Ektrop. Sadly, they aren't as white as seasons past....why Ikea? Why? The reason we purchase them is so that we can use bleach or hang them outside, we need bright white Ikea! Your website lies! Love you anyway, mean it!

So one of cats decided to puke on the bottom cushion.. because getting off the sofa & doing it on the wood floor was just too hard!! Right Princess? It's okay, I love her anyway. Having so many pets, the normal routine, bring out the enzyme clearer & got to town. I ripped off the cushions..cause you know, cats just can't yuke on ONE spot!! Spray down cushion, stick it outside to dry & toss all the bottoms in the wash. Guess what? The spot came clean of course but it was bright white. Time to take action, I had to get the cushions to match!

I'm not sure if you can tell by this picture the difference in color whites on the slipcover. I must say it's very subtle. I can't tell from across the room that the Ikea slip is off color from my bright white taffeta curtains but up close I can. It was driving me nuts!


My second wash I used a half cup of near Oxyclean. I say near  Oxy because I purchased it for a dollar a tube at Dollar Tree. I think it's the same stuff they sell for almost 4 at Walmart. I also added a cup of Four Mule Team Borax. I figured that there was probably alot of chemicles used in the slipcover process that needed to come out..is that weird? It's just fabric right?  With this many animals on the farm, I love faux Oxyclean. I set it on a quick clean cycle but opened my washer & let it soak for about 30 minutes. When it was finished the cushions were white, but not white enough. The next cycle I ran was whites plus stain soak in warm water. YUP, I did...warm.  I only used regular laundry detergent and a cup of bleach. I let this load soak for another 30 minutes. I was worried about so much soaking & washing but these Ektrop slipcovers are still as stiff as new...only now, they are bright white instead of offs kinda yucky off white!! Yippeee So if you ordered some thru the mail because your Ikea is 5 hours away like mine take heart! You can make the nice, sunny, bright white & just awesome like you have always wanted! I love my Ikea Ektrop..did I say that already? Cheers! Kimberly



No comments:

Post a Comment