Monday, June 10, 2013

Turn of the Century Parlor Chairs - Makeover!

Soooo I have this thing you know..for chairs!! Okay, that's a lie, I will be honest and just tell you that if it's old, it calls my name. Please save me from the dumpster it screams! Fix meeeeee!!! And I have, lots over the years. When I saw these two old beauties show up on one of my Facebook feeds I stared long & hard. I walked away. I walked back. I wanted them..but, but, but..I already have two chair projects that I haven't even touched!! But, these two chairs, probably part of a parlor set needed me! I could see them in gray velvet which I already have. I can't let that beautiful restoration velvet go to waste could I? No. And the chairs I wanted from Overstock in gray velvet were going to cost $550.00..soooo. SOLD. I love it how easily I can justify a purchase. This doesn't come easy it takes years of practice. I will say it was alot easier when my sister & I had our antique store. I could bring new things into my home & move my older tired of with items into the store. Perfecto!

Here is one of the two matching chairs. I do actually kinda like the brown velvet that's on it now, but the springs need to be retied so I doubt I can save it.



Here is the cut velvet fabric that is under the cut velvet brown fabric. I am sure this is from the second reuphoster job. I love this fabric & actually have purchased a crazy quilt that has square from it. 


Stripping down antique chairs can sometimes be a job..but it's a job you need to love! I found this interesting bar across the front. This was likely done to save your thighs when you sit down. I removed it, I will use fox edging to make it nice & comfy. 


When in doubt just use longer tacks! Nah, you don't have to remove the cluster of tacks from two previous jobs just make it work, make it fit!! Waaaa...uggghhh. My hands hurted after this.


Springs!! Yah, I knew they were in there but I bought them anyway. New adventure what can I say. I usually shy away from springs but now we have the internet! Blogs! Youtube!! Now I can do it! Okay I can TRY to do it..anyway. I believe these springs haven't been tied down in a looonnnggg time. Since it was first made I believe. When I took the batting off the springs were tied to the burlap, not each other.

I hope to tackle the finish today. Normally I would restore it but ..sadly they do have white paint splattered all over them (bummer!).



Cats & Upholstery! Cats & Fabric!

It never fails. Everytime I start a soft project one of my six will stop by to show me how it's done. Mostly by napping. They are trying to show me that you aren't suppose to work on projects in your spare time you are suppose to nap in your free time. Silly humans. Here, let me show you how it's done!
This is Snuggles. She is our newest rescue. More on her story later!







No comments:

Post a Comment